During the February 23, 2009 Council meeting, the Emergency Operations Plan for Multi-Hazards basic plan for Atlantic Beach was unanimously approved by the Town Council. A portion of this plan is dedicated to access and re-entry to Bogue Banks after an event such as severe storm or hurricane.
Pre- and Post-Storm:
The NC Highway Patrol will monitor the effects of winds on the high-rise bridge travel. The NC Highway Patrol will restrict travel across the high-rise bridge when wind speeds prevent safe bridge travel or threat of rendering lanes impassable due to over-turned vehicles or other blockages due to winds.
First, public safety officials survey the town to ensure re-entry for property owners and residents is safe. Second, once safety concerns are addressed we would then ask to allow those who have a legitimate and vested interest be allowed to return to secure their property before allowing the general public access to Atlantic Beach. Third, once property owners have secured their property allow for the towns reopening. The proposed plan is in place for two reasons, safety and to ensure only those who have a legitimate reason are allowed back on the island. The proposed process the first year is going to require the completion of a simple application to ensure passes are tied to properties for accountability. This will eliminate the need to repeat this process year after year saving money. We realize there may be some minor inconveniences, but remember this to protect your interests.
Atlantic Beach Re-entry Permits:
- Permits will only be issued Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM. No permits will be issued or mailed 24 hours before projected landfall.
- Re-entry passes are permanent and do not need to be replaced each year. Permanent system began in April 2009 and modified effective July 1, 2018.
- Atlantic Beach property owners (real and personal), long term renters with a current lease agreement, and business owners with active business registrations may purchase passes for $25 each. The number of passes that can be purchased per parcel number or business is not limited. All passes as of July 1, 2018 shall be purchased for $25 each, no exceptions. No refunds will be given for purchased passes.
- Personal property owners are primarily mobile homes, but would also include boats. If they own the property but aren’t listing it for AB taxes, they must go to the County and file the property for taxes and bring us proof of filing with the parcel/account number listed prior to our issuance of passes.
- Torn, worn, or damaged passes can be replaced with new at no cost as long as old pass is turned in.
- Real property passes have the addresses written on them. If an officer stops them at an address that doesn’t match that which is written on the pass, the officer will not be able to verify that they own multiple places and therefore have a legitimate purpose to being on that other property. If they own multiple locations, they should have the pass with them that matches the location they are visiting.
Re-entry permits may be purchased online (click here) by the property owner, business owner, or long-term renter. All permits purchased online will be mailed, not held for pick up.
Re-entry permits may be purchased at Town Hall with proof of ownership or long-term lease for $25 each. If the owner wishes to authorize someone else to purchase a permit on their behalf, the notarized attestation form will be required.
Re-Entry Notary Attestation (by owner for authorized purchased by other)