During the February 23, 2009 Council meeting, the Emergency Operations Plan for Multi-Hazards basic plan for Atlantic Beach was unanimously approved by the Town Council. A portion of this plan is dedicated to access and re-entry to Bogue Banks after an event such as severe storm or hurricane.
Pre- and Post-Storm:
The NC Highway Patrol will monitor the effects of winds on the high-rise bridge travel. The NC Highway Patrol will restrict travel across the high-rise bridge when wind speeds prevent safe bridge travel or threat of rendering lanes impassable due to over-turned vehicles or other blockages due to winds.
First, public safety officials survey the town to ensure re-entry for property owners and residents is safe. Second, once safety concerns are addressed we would then ask to allow those who have a legitimate and vested interest be allowed to return to secure their property before allowing the general public access to Atlantic Beach. Third, once property owners have secured their property allow for the towns reopening. The proposed plan is in place for two reasons, safety and to ensure only those who have a legitimate reason are allowed back on the island. The proposed process the first year is going to require the completion of a simple application to ensure passes are tied to properties for accountability. This will eliminate the need to repeat this process year after year saving money. We realize there may be some minor inconveniences, but remember this to protect your interests.
Atlantic Beach Re-entry Permits:
- Permits will only be issued Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM at Town Hall. No permits will be issued or mailed 24 hours before projected landfall.
- Re-entry permit applications must be completed in its entirety for each parcel number, whether for real or personal property, and for each business in Atlantic Beach. Applications will be kept on file at Town Hall and cross referenced with each assigned permit issued. Permit applications shall be completed by the property owner and permits will only be provided by Town Hall staff to the property owner. Any transfer of passes from property owner to other persons is the responsibility of the property owner.
- Real Property Re-entry Permit Application (land, single or multi-family residence)
- Personal Property Re-entry Permit Application (mobile home, boats, RV’s)
- Business Re-entry Permit Application (business must be located in Atlantic Beach with a paid business license)
- Re-entry permits are permanent permits and will not be re-issued each year.
- Every parcel and business may receive up to two permits at no charge. Additional permits can be purchased for $25 per additional permit. Torn or worn permits that need to be replaced can be brought to Town Hall for replacement without charge.
- Once a property owner or business owner receives their two permits, they may give those permits to any individual(s) of their choosing who may be in a better local position to check on the property or an additional permit can be purchased for that purpose.
- Permits are assigned to specific parcel numbers and all permits will be transferred at closing or at the transferring of the title. This is as important as receiving the keys, parking passes, or gate control cards at closing. If two permits have previously been assigned to the parcel number, the new owner will be charged the $25 fee for each replacement permit requested. Remember, the permits are assigned numerically and cross referenced to the specific parcel number matching the applications on file.
Completed applications may be mailed or delivered to Town Hall during normal business hours.