The Town of Atlantic Beach has developed this list of frequently asked questions to help keep your visit to our Town and Beaches safe and enjoyable. Download the complete PDF version.
1. Where are the public boat ramps and fishing piers located?
- Moonlight Dr Boat Ramp – 3 vehicle & trailer spots
- West Bogue Sound Dr Boat Ramp – No Parking;
- Pelican Drive Fishing Pier – small pier with 10 vehicle spots, no trailer spots;
- Bridge Abutment Parking Facility – fishing landing with parking for 26 vehicles (including 4 boat/trailer spaces)
2. Who are the local utility companies, and how can they be contacted?
- Water/trash: Town of Atlantic Beach 252-726-1366
- Electricity: Duke Energy Progress 800-419-6356 or Carteret-Craven Electric 252-247-3107
- Telephone: CenturyLink 800-475-7526
- Cable: Time Warner Cable 252-223-5011
3. When is recycling picked up?
Recycling is picked up every Monday. Recycling bins are available for free during regular business hours. Contact 252 726-1366 for additional information.
4. What do I do if my trash can disappears or breaks?
Replacement trash cans, wheel & axle sets, and upper/lower bars can be purchased at the Town Hall. It is recommended that homeowners paint their street address on their garbage cart.
5. I changed my name and/or address. How do I change that information on my taxes and water accounts?
Changes to tax accounts may be provided to the Tax Collector at (252)726-2121, but must also be provided to the County Tax office at (252)728-8535 as our tax information is imported annually from the County records. Information on water accounts may be changed by contacting the Billing Clerk at (252)726-1366.
6. Where can I register to vote?
Registration forms for voting are available at the Atlantic Beach Town Hall and at the Carteret County Board of Elections office in Beaufort, (252) 728-8460.
7. When are vehicles allowed on the beach?
Beach driving is allowed from October 1st through March 15. Annual beach permits are available for purchase for $50 (residents) and $75 (non-residents) at the Town Hall during regular business hours and at the Fire Department on the weekends. A valid drivers license and registration card for a four-wheel drive vehicle must be presented at time of purchase. ATV’s are not allowed to drive on the beach at any time.
AB residents aged 65 and older may receive one free permit. The four-wheel drive vehicle which is to be permitted must be registered to the AB resident/property owner.
Handicapped persons of any age (whether they are Atlantic Beach residents / taxpayers or not) are eligible for one free permit. Handicapped persons in addition to providing copies of vehicle registration and drivers license must also provide a copy of their handicap placard and DMV registration card for their placard. The four-wheel drive vehicle which is to be permitted must be registered to the handicapped person.
Purple Heart Recipients are eligible for one free permit and must provide proof that they have been awarded the decoration. The following is accepted as proof: Defense Department Form 214, discharge papers, military personnel records, orders or award certificates. These articles of proof are the same as allowed by the VA. The four-wheel drive vehicle which is to be permitted must be registered to the Purple Heart Recipient.
Commercial fishermen are eligible for one free PASS and must provide a copy of the front and back of the commercial fishing license. The four-wheel drive vehicle which is to be permitted must be registered to the Commercial fisherman. This pass is not the beach driving permit, but will allow free access to the beach strand while actively commercial fishing.
8. May I camp out, ride horses or have fires on the beach?
Due to safety, the Town ordinances prohibit camping, horseback riding and fires on the beach.
9. In the event of a hurricane, how would I be able to return to my residence after the storm?
The Town provides AB real/personal property owners, long-term renters, and active AB businesses re-entry passes for $25 each. All permits shall convey upon sale of the property to the new owners.