Atlantic Beach Flood Information
The Carteret County IT Department / GIS Division has developed a web app to allow citizens to easily compare the current effective and preliminary flood maps affecting our area. County GIS Flood Map Changes Web App.
For additional information please contact the NCEM Floodplain Mapping Outreach Coordinator at (919) 825-2339 or Atlantic Beach Planning & Development at (252) 726-4456.
The dominant source of flooding in Atlantic Beach, North Carolina is wind-driven storm surge in association with Hurricanes, Tropical Storms, and Nor’easters. In Atlantic Beach, much of the population lives within a floodplain, also known as the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA). While these areas are especially at risk, flooding can occur virtually anywhere in Atlantic Beach. Flood insurance is available to property owners both inside and outside of the SFHA through the National Flood Insurance Program https://www.floodsmart.gov/.
Atlantic Beach participates in the NFIP Community Rating System (CRS). The CRS is a voluntary incentive program that recognizes and encourages sound community floodplain management through the implementation of activities that exceed the minimum NFIP requirements.
As a result of Atlantic Beach’s implementation of these activities and participation in the CRS, the Town is designated as a Class 8 Community. Flood insurance premiums in Class 8 communities are discounted 10% for properties within the SFHA and 5% for properties located outside of the SFHA.
The Town of Atlantic Beach maintains copies of elevation certificates for all new construction and substantial improvements. The Town can also provide flood information services such as basic FIRM information, historical flood information, natural floodplain functions, and provides assistance with letter of map amendments/letter of map revisions. The Town can give helpful advice on how to protect your property from flooding, as well as advice on hurricane preparedness and flood education.
The County also requires higher regulatory standards through the implementation of the Carteret County Flood Damage Prevention and Protection Ordinance.
To determine whether or not your property is located within the SFHA and to receive technical advice on how to protect your buildings from flooding, contact the Atlantic Beach Planning Department at (252) 726-4456.
- FEMA Risk Rating 2.0
- 2015 Pamlico Sound Regional Hazard Mitigation Plan
- Benefits of Freeboard
- Carteret County 2019 Flood Tips Brochure
- Carteret County Emergency Operations Plan
- Coastal Flood Studies
- Coastal Flood Zones
- Coastal LIMWA
- FEMA 495 Adoption of FIRMs
- FEMA Elevation Certificate
- FEMA Non-Engineered Opening Guide
- FEMA Risk Rating 2.0
- Flood Study Update Carteret County
- Flood Zone Definitions
- Floodplain Mgmt Requirements in NC
- HFIAA Fact Sheet for Businesses
- Homeowner Flood Insurance Affordability Act of 2014
- How Recent Legislative Changes Affect Flood Insurance
- Lowest Floor Guide
- Map Changes & Flood Insurance
- NC Floodplain Management Quick Guide
- Policies for Buildings Newly Mapped Into Flood Zones
- Property Site Inventory
- Summary of FEMA Changes 2018 & 2019
- FEMA Flood Map Service Center
- Carteret County Emergency Management
- Carteret County GIS Portal
- NC Flood Inundation Mapping and Alert Network
- NC Flood Resource Page
- National Flood Insurance Program
- National Flood Insurance Program Publications
- National Flood Insurance Program Technical Bulletins
- National Hurricane Center
- National Weather Service Newport/Morehead City Office
- FEMA Coastal Flood Risk Resources